Fountain Powerboats announced plans to introduce the next generation of the new Fountain Lightning 42, widely considered as the most legendary v-bottom ever built.
With the popularity of center-console boats exploding over the last decade, Fountain’s core business has become its center-console sport and fishing boats. Today, Fountain ranks in the Top 5 nationwide in market share for center console boats over 30 feet.
IMG’s goal is to reestablish the company as a major force in the high performance stern drive segment.
IMG said two years ago that they were making a commitment to high-performance stern-drive boats. The new Lightning shows they weren’t messing around.
The 2020 lineup of I/O-powered V bottoms spells out the story pretty clearly, with Baja’s 24, 27 and 36 models, Donzi’s 22 and 38 ZRC, and the Fountain 47. IMG has also developed a line of outboard powered cats including the Donzi 44 Icon and the new Fountain 34 Thunder Cat. V-bottom or cat, today,
The Lightning’s new look honors the classic styling while sporting extensive changes in the deck and cockpit design. The goal: modernize the boat and make it more user-friendly.
“At first glance, this boat has been six months in the making,” Ross said. “But when you consider all the R&D, racing and customer input, it has actually been more than 40 years in the making.”
Harris said that company founder Reggie Fountain—who continues as a consultant with IMG—helped shape the project every step of the way. “Reggie was involved throughout the design phase,” Harris said. “He saw no need to change the running surface—it’s the same, because you really can’t improve on that.”
“The new generation 42′ Lightning incorporates everything I’ve learned over the last 40 years about high performance boating,” Reggie Fountain told Speedboat. “The 42’s performance is legendary and unmatched. No brag, just fact. Just look at the record book. Next you add in all the design and styling updates, and there isn’t a high performance pleasure boat that compares.”
Steve Miller, Mercury Racing‘s Director of Marketing, Sales and Service, said he was delighted to see IMG create a new Fountain Lightning.
“It’s such great brand, and Mercury has been a part of it for so long,” said Miller. Miller expects that with the 1100/1350 dual calibration engines the boat is going to be a rocketship. “Even with the 1100s, it’s going to be a super-fast boat, running on the 89 octane.” said Miller.
Check out the rendering of the new Lightning and scroll down to see the features!
Here are some of the key features of the new Lightning:
• Seasmart brushed anodized cleats with the Fountain logo.
• Seasmart brushed anodized fills.
• Single engine hatch controlled via hydraulic hinges (a change from the old-style double hatches from years past).
• Sun pad with walkway on either side.
• Intakes feature a landing big enough for a step.
• Larger intakes.
• Frameless wraparound windshield.
• Raised foredeck for more cabin headroom.
• All-new fiberglass hatches.
• Easy access cockpit walkway.
• Optional jl audio speakers and remote.
• Transom shower.
• Pull out ladder with grabhandles.
• RGB swim platform lighting.
• Foam deck mat.
• Pop-up cleats.
(2) electric actuated bolster seats.
• Cup holders.
• Grab handles.
• Optional vessel view 502.
• seat back storage pockets.
• JL Audio sound system.
• 4x 7.7 speakers.
• 2×12” subwoofer.
• AMP 600/6 channel.
• MM100 head unit at starboard dash.
• USB outlets.
• Easy access cockpit steps.
• 3 person bench seat with large storage tub or cooler (insulated with drain plugs).
• Dash storage.
Optional livorsi gauges.
• 4x 2 5/8 gauges (2x fuel, 2x water pressure).
• 2x 3 5/8 gauges (tachometer).
• Standard dash vessel view 703.
• Standard garmin 8612.
• Garmin 8616 option.
• Trim tab indicators.
• Mil spec toggle switches.
• Dual throttle/shift combo (port or starboard).
• Two tier footrests – port and starboard dash.
• Optional removable steering wheel.
Optional collapsible table with insert cushion.
• Forward storage compartment.
• Optional air-conditioning system.
• Optional audio upgrade.
• 2x 7.7 speakers.
• 1x mm100 head unit.
• Cup holders.
• GFI outlets.
• Standard porta potti.
• Optional compact toilet with 9 gal waste tank.
• Towel holder.
• Robe holder.
• Port and starboard closet storage.
• Optional refrigerator.
• Pull out trash can.
• Storage cabinets below galley.
• Corian countertops.
• Galley sink(s) with optional fresh water faucet.
What do you think of the new Fountain lightning 42? Let us know in the comments!